Preliminary findings part of a National Consumer Experience Program by ValidCare, a market intelligence and research solutions company for hemp-based product businesses, are now available.
The program is a direct response to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) invitation to the industry to offer safety and efficacy data to support its science-based approach to regulating hemp-derived cannabidiol (CBD) in consumer goods.
ValidCare’s data was collected over 45 days this fall with inputs from more than 2,000 consumers using the company’s CBD+me app. Participants provided more than 2,000 product reviews representing more than 100 CBD products from over 20 companies, including tinctures, balms, capsules, edibles, and beverages, as part of the study.
Key findings from the study include:
• The average age of CBD users is 48 years old, with slightly more females (56 percent) reporting.
• 86 percent of CBD product users take it orally, with 75 percent reporting use of an oil-based tincture.
• 91 percent of consumers report using full- or broad-spectrum hemp oil, with 9 percent reporting use of CBD isolate.
• Consumption amounts were safe thus far, more studies needed.
• There were zero reports of severe adverse events resulting from CBD use.
• One in six (18 percent) say they use CBD for general wellness.
• One in five (20 percent) report an unexpected side benefit to their CBD use, such as general pain relief, improved movement and better sleep.
• Three quarters of respondents (75 percent) reported they felt “better” to “much better” after CBD products use.
• Only 5 percent report mild side effects including dry or sore throat and difficulty concentrating.
“These initial findings are just the beginning for what we believe will be a compelling and useful data set to provide to the FDA as well as business and consumers,” says Patrick McCarthy, CEO of ValidCare. “We’ve partnered with several product suppliers to date and we’re now opening the program up to additional industry-leading companies who share our desire to bring the level of gravity and rigor the FDA is looking for.”
For more information about the ValidCare platform, visit www.validcare.com or call (844) 825-4322.